Discuss what works and what doesn't with user reviews of products.
By Karen
I'll give my thoughts on the most popular natural gout "remedies" (I say that in quotes because we all know they don't really work) below. Please post your thoughts on any of these methods, something that may not have worked for me might have worked wonders for you or vice versa. :)

1. CHERRIES: This is probably the most heavily pushed natural gout remedy, even in the form of companies selling cherry extracts. The general idea is the high antioxidant content in cherries can lower the amount of uric acid in the body. The issue with this is different varities of cherries can have wildly different amounts of antioxidants. The cherry extract products are probably more effective than consuming a large amount of cherries on a daily basis, which is a sugar overload and not particulary healthy.

2. APPLE CIDER VINEGAR: Another extremely popular natural gout remedy, this is one that some people swear by. It doesn't work for me but it must work for some people otherwise I wouldn't see it listed everywhere. You are supposed to mix a couple tablespoons of raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar with water and drink it multiple times a day. The problem with this is you have to drink it several times a day, EVERY DAY, to get it to supposedly work. The increased acid level in your body helps relieve gout pain.

The problem is I find the taste of ACV revolting after a few days of drinking multiple glasses a day, I just can't do it. Maybe you can mix it with something else to make it taste better?

3. BAKING SODA: Another popular remedy through social media, baking soda works much like ACV. The intake of baking soda mixed in water is supposed to raise your body's alkali level preventing uric acid from building up. I have several concerns and issues with this method but I'll start with the big one. SODIUM. Baking soda is extremely high in sodium and taking it in concentrated amounts (even mixed in water) can be really dangerous. This is even more dangerous if you have any blood pressure issues. Even if this method was somewhat effective of reducing gout symptoms it's just going to cause other health problems down the road.

4. WATER: Finally! A natural gout remedy that is easy, free and somewhat effective. I think we can all agree that our body needs water and we probably aren't getting enough of it. Water does a great job of flushing uric acid through our body. Will chugging gallons of it totally prevent gout flare ups? Probably not, but keeping your body hydrated is a great way to be healthier overall.

5. CELERY SEED: This is one of those natural remedies that has some undesireable side effects, but probably does prevent gout to a degree. Celery seed extract stimulates your kidneys into flushing out excess uric acid in your urine. But this comes at a price. You WILL be making frequent trips to the bathroom. For some people this might not be an issue.

This is by no means a comprehensive list of natural gout remedies, just the ones that you find posted the most on social media and otber outlets. You will find that with most natural remedies there are negatives that go hand in hand with the positives of managing gout. I'd love to hear about any new remedies or if you have different experiences with the methods listed in this post. :)

Karen
Karen, great post! I don't know if you've tried it but mixing apple cider vinegar with honey and water makes it taste a lot better. I can't do it mixed with just water either. I'm not sure if it really is a natural gout remedy but I think it has many other health benefits. Thats what I've read at least. I tried a drink called kombucha at the farmers market last weekend, have you heard of it? Its a fermented drink like ACV but to me it was much more palatable. I'm just wondering if it would do anything for gout?
John_71 wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:11 pm
Karen, great post! I don't know if you've tried it but mixing apple cider vinegar with honey and water makes it taste a lot better. I can't do it mixed with just water either. I'm not sure if it really is a natural gout remedy but I think it has many other health benefits. Thats what I've read at least. I tried a drink called kombucha at the farmers market last weekend, have you heard of it? Its a fermented drink like ACV but to me it was much more palatable. I'm just wondering if it would do anything for gout?
John, welcome to the forum! Using your advice I tried some ACV tonight with honey and it was actually quite pleasant, thanks for the tip!

I don't know much about Kombucha but I did some research on how it effects Gout. I'm finding a lot of conflicting information. I can see how it would have similiar uric acid fighting properties as ACV. The one problem I see is high levels of yeast.

I know that beer is a huge gout trigger largely because of the high levels of brewers yeast. I don't know if Kombucha is made with brewers yeast as well? I've found a lot of people asking if it is safe for gout sufferers but no concrete answers. Of course Kombucha companies praise its benefits for gout flares :lol: . I'm going to do some more research on this and get back to you, probably in a new post.
Karen
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]